Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lack of Blog

Hello! Sorry its been days since I've updated this page...I spent a week without my computer (I know - I can barely believe it myself). I've learned that I'm quite addicted...I get a bit edgy without computers, phones, music, etc.
For the National Independence Day (Sept 18th) - I had almost a week to explore the North of Chile: Antofagasta for one day and Iquique for five. Antofagasta proved to be...not as nice as Iquique. The best part was an amazingly new, modern mall in the middle of an otherwise dirty city. I felt like a homeless person washing my filthy hands and face in the neat bathrooms (equipped with toilet paper, soap, AND hand dryers - not something you see everyday here). I have about three pictures from the town. Not much to see. Iquique is a great beach town (you've already seen photos from my first trip)...but I acquired some type of stomach bug or food poisoning while I was there. Three days of feeling gross did not permit any adventures.
Volunteers from around the country joined us up North to enjoy the warmth. The hostel was more like an English Opens Doors reunion! Our best moments were spent in the hostel - eating, playing games, watching Chile vs Australia in the Davis Cup, gathering at the beach across the street, etc. While our favorite Australian was not happy to see Chile win, he did entertain all of us with his classic guitar skills. Who knew one person could know about so many subjects...my favorite quote of his: "want to hear a Russian song or Brazilian?"

This week, I've settled back into classes and have taken on a new project: helping one of my students apply to colleges in the United States. He loves the idea of Princeton - but money, competition, and time probably won't allow that to be a reality. I've included a picture of my classroom here - sans students. I will need to take more pictures with my students. Kim, mom, and dad have been able to chat with a few of my students. They love hearing new American voices and hearing more about the States. Skype could not be more helpful! I will be home this weekend and hope to write something a bit more interesting!

No comments: