Sunday, August 31, 2008

Relaxing Weekend in Calama


Nothing happened this weekend. Sigh...it could not have been better. I watched a movie with John Friday night (21 was a great disappointment. I thought it would have given us a few gambling tips...nada). Saturday, I learned how to make pastel de choclo (like shepard's pie...but with corn instead of potatoes). Leslie's mother came to the house to teach me. She worked for an American family here in Calama for 10 years. The father worked as an engineer for the cooper mine (we have the largest open cooper mine in the world). She explained that she learned how to make torta (cake) from the American family. She also described their different foods and preparations...a roast with potatoes and carrots, cocktails with chocolate covered insects... The American family sounded world-traveled. I hope the insect drink did not originate in the States... After the cooking lessons, Chris, John, and I chatted with the family and hit the roads on bikes. Yes, we have discovered that all of our families have bikes, yet no one uses them! I'm quite pleased that Chris figured this out and now we have some transportation for day trips around town. Last night, I took a few Rosetta Stone lessons and fell asleep around 10 pm! As Chris says - for what reason would I go out in Calama?! Today, Chris and I hit the grocery store bright and early to purchase food for our asado. The bbq was a nice change of pace for all of us...even though the actual barbecuing did not work. Gas grills have spoiled us over the years. Luckily, my house is only a few blocks from the park. I was able to run home to pressure cook the chicken and...much to my surprise...find my packaged from Marilou and Bob! Two weeks late and on a Sunday...it was unexpected to say the least! I'm super excited to start taking some photos with my own camera!!!!

Here is the address they used:
M. Catherine Lambert
c/o Leslie Araya
1891 Ave Balmaceda
V. San Rafael
Calama, Chile CL

No comments: