Thursday, August 21, 2008

Unfiltered Perspective


To my parents and family:

I sit in the church of Pica. Fruit sticks to my fingers and mixes with the smell of incense and wood. I gaze up to the ceiling – a beautiful dome of aqua paint and rounded windows shaped like four leaf clovers. The simplicity and passion of the Chilean people allow my own mind to open and swell with so many thoughts. I breathe deeply filling my lungs with the warm air. I exhale every last bit of trapped air within me. As I take another breath, I hope only to soak up this moment.

I live each day with so many thoughts of you. Everything you have provided for me, taught me, and shown me through your actions and words. I take in the church and can’t help but see it through your eyes. The thickly coated wood plank ceiling overwhelms the barely noticeable metal rods stretching above the pews to support the ancient walls. A single energy efficient light bulb dangles from each rod. My eyes then drift to the statues adorned with clothing made by individual stitches.

Saint Teresita Pray for Us.

Every moment of my life seems to be with me as I sit here. I can breathe deeply and smell Grandpop’s perfume of motor oil and cocktails. Grandmom’s voice crackles as she turns down Wheel of Fortune to greet another visitor. I hear myself chomping on oyster crackers as I sprawl across their sunlit floor. The stained glass railing shakes slightly as Dad grips the banister to climb up the steps to join us. With the next breath, I can feel the rush of wind across my face as I glide through the air on my swing that stretches far above the house. Another breath. Dad flips Mickey Mouse pancakes as mom heats butter and syrup in a glass bowl. Rob, Susan, and Kim have already left the house in a flurry of action. I gaze at my plate of breakfast and realize that this moment is mine.

This moment is mine.

So many memories and emotions flash before me. The church reappears as I open my eyes. This moment is why I came to Chile. For moments of solitude that allow me to categorize the important aspects of my life. Unfiltered perspective. Seeing a life so different allows me to see my own. Chile is a silent picture for me where the lack of understandable language only highlights every action and detail. As I observe encounters between family, friends, students, and coworkers, I can identify the many universals that exist in all of our lives. A kind word accompanied by a blush, a child sleeping soundly on their father, excited voices as a host tells his lunch guests a funny story.

I climb into the worn bus wrapped in a fresh layer of dust. I watch as the tiny town of Pica slowly thins into fruit farms, sporadic shacks, and then desert. The tall hills of sand absorb the reds and pinks of another Chilean sunset.

Everything you have provided me – lives in each cell of my mind. I appreciate every note of guidance, inspiration of curiosity, and second of unconditional generosity. Everything that makes me who I am – originates in you. Even the moments that don’t directly tie to you, only exist because of you. Thank you.

(Location: Pica, Chile - a small town two hours inland from Iquique)
PS - I've heard that this post is a bit sappy...there shouldn't be anything surprising about that...

No comments: