Friday, November 21, 2008

Last Day in Calama









Wow. I get a chill just writing "last day in Calama." At this moment, I sit in my room relaxing for the last time. In a few minutes, I'll walk with Rodrigo to the bakery and introduce him to the head baker, who would like English lessons. In 10 days, I will return here...but it will be different. It won't be as a resident, it will be as a visitor with my dad. My friends will have left and I won't have the same emotions as I do right now. Its difficult for me even to process all of the thoughts run through my head. Two diverging ones rise to the top most frequently: absolute excitement about traveling to Peru and meeting my father in Cuzco...and absolute sadness about closing this chapter of my life. I will miss my life here more than I think I can even imagine now.

I hope to write during the next two months as I travel from hostel to hostel. I can't wait to share with you all of the adventures Bob and I will experience!

A special thanks also to Juan - who hung out with me this week and showed me so many new sides of Calama! MUCHAS GRACIAS - can't wait to see you in Santiago and eventually grab a drink with you and Meri in the States!

Photo of Desk: The desk where I've written to all of you since August.
Photo of Chefs: Baking at Pasteli's this past week. My new friends at the bakery agreed to let me shadow them for a few days! To say the least - I was in heaven.

No comments: