Monday, October 6, 2008

Hollar Back Now

To save some plata (money), I've been walking home from school occasionally. During these walks I'm safe - but encounter all sorts of new intrigues. Machismo runs rampant here. If a gringa simply places one foot on the streets of Chile, the shouts pour out (in thick accents): I love you! Hello! How are you? Hello, my friend! With this - whistles and hollers also fill the air.

Today, I remembered something I hadn't shared with you, my blog audience. Some of the collectivos (like taxis) and cars here have special horns. The height of laziness...some cars honk with a hey-baby-style whistle. The first time I heard such an electronic whistle - I stopped and said aloud: did that just happen? This afternoon, it didn't phase me. Which made me realize that its such a common occurrence here - I'm now accustomed to it.

Tip for men reading this blog thinking they need to install such a device: please don't.

No comments: